Saturday 20 June 2009

Giant stuffed courgettes

Have you seen a courgette (US: zucchini) of this size?

Pilar, my wife, brought it back the other day, saying that Chago had given it to us.

Must be the biggest I've ever laid eyes on!

So, what do I do with it?

Well, those who know me know that I'm the kind who opens the fridge and see what's in there, then decide what to cook! So, here is what I came up with.

Ingredients:

1 giant courgette
250g minced pork
100g mushrooms, washed & drained, diced
50g breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
some cheese
olive oil
salt & pepper
fresh coriander leaves, roughly cut
Procedure:
Put some oil in a frying pan.
Stir fry the onion, red pepper and garlic with some salt. I like my onions and red pepper well done, so I cook it until they're tender.
Add the minced pork. Toss it before adding the mushrooms.
Cut the courgette through the middle, lengthwise.
Scoop the flesh from the courgette and add it to the frying pan.
When the mix is fairly done, add the breadcrumbs, then the egg.
Turn the fire off.
Add some cheese (roughly broken up) and the coriander.
Add salt & pepper to taste.
It's advisable to salt the shells slightly because they're somewhat bitter.
Scoop the mixture into the empty courgette shells.
Top with some grated mozzarella cheese.
Place the courgette on an aluminium tray (greased with a little oil), and bake in a pre-heated oven @ 175ºC for 30 mins.

I served this with some spaghetti, which I tossed with some olive oil, chopped garlic and mushrooms.

Try it, and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.